Introducing Sports Medicine PLUS
Sports Medicine PLUS is a collaboration between Prairie Lakes Healthcare System, community physicians, and a certified athletic trainer. It was formed to fulfill the need of enhanced sports medicine services to best serve area athletes.
In addition to providing athletic training services, Sports Medicine PLUS offers early injury intervention, a formal concussion screening program, and a comprehensive educational program.
The collaboration brings together expertise in the fields of orthopedics with Drs. Gerald Rieber and Casey Johnston from Glacial Lakes Orthopaedics, primary care with Drs. Dan Reiffenberger, Jon McAreavey, and Aaron Shives from Brown Clinic, and athletic training with certified athletic trainer Michelle Leitheiser, ATC.
The objectives of Sports Medicine PLUS are to:
• Provide preventative measures and early intervention of athletic injuries
• Perform recognition, evaluation, and immediate care of athletic injuries
• Provide for student athletes’ overall safety and medical needs
• Implement a concussion screening and evaluation program
• Provide ongoing educational opportunities for area athletes, coaches, and parents
Sports Medicine PLUS Services
• Evaluation and treatment of athletic injuries
• Application of first aid and other medical assistance
• Preventative taping and bracing
• Provide nutritional information
• Provide basic educational information to student athletic trainers and managers
• Provide recommendations for exercise or other physical measures for minor injuries under the direction, supervision, and review of a physician
• Provide baseline ImPACT (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) screenings
• ImPACT is the most widely used, scientifically validated computerized concussion evaluation system
• Provide post-injury ImPACT screenings
• Interpret test results
• Provide educational presentations to athletes, coaches, and parents
• Topics include:
• Concussion management
• ACL injury prevention
• Cardiac arrhythmias and energy drinks
• Dehydration and heat stroke
• Preventative medicine, stretching, warm up, and cool down
• Athletic footwear
For more information about the Sports Medicine PLUS program, follow us on Facebook.